Friday, October 19, 2012

Stop Procrastination by...... Watching the NFL?

       I would say that I am a bit obsessed with watching football.  I watch football all day on Sunday, I always watch the Thursday and Monday night games, I try to improve my fantasy football team throughout the week, and I have multiple NFL jerseys.  One may think being involved this much into football would hurt my homework habits, but for me, it is the exact opposite.
       I have found that watching football helps stop my procrastination of homework on weekends.  I will admit, throughout the school year, I often do all of my homework on Sunday, sometimes even just on Sunday nights.  I find, though, that during the football season, I complete most of my homework on Saturday.  I know that if I saved it for Sunday, I would either do a worse job on it because I would be rushing or I would have to miss some football.  Therefore, it gives me an incentive to do it on Saturday and not procrastinate.
       Take, for example, this past weekend.  I had more homework then I ever had in my life, but I knew on a non-NFL school week, I would have still done all of it on Sunday.  This probably would have led to a lot of stress and possibly a crunch of time.  But, since I knew that the Eagles, my favorite football team, played at 12 o'clock and the Vikings, my second favorite team, played at 3:15, I had to do most of it on Saturday.  This led to a Sunday of low stress, and I was able to just kick back and watch football without being stressed.
       Yes, I know that this only cures my habit of procrastination on the weekend for seventeen weeks of the year, but it is still better than nothing.  Seventeen tests I score higher on, seventeen projects I put more detail into, seventeen more stressless weekends.  It adds up, and just these seventeen weeks help ease my stress throughout the year.  So, while I usually only look forward to the football season to have fun watching it, in the back of my mind, I know it helps preserve my sanity, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment