Wednesday, October 31, 2012

It's Horror Time

I love horror movies, and love is not even a strong enough word.  I watch them whenever possible, and on Halloween, I try to watch all of them that are on television.  I have never known why, I just love being horrified during these movies.  One part of horror movies that I am sort of confused with, though, is the development of horror movies.  I am never scared at horror movies from ten or more years ago, but new horror movies freak me out. 

After watching "The Unborn" from 2009, I was scared out of my mind, and had trouble sleeping for weeks.  After watching "The Blair Witch Project", though, from 1999, I honestly can say I was not even shaken a little bit.  This is odd, because "The Unborn" got mediocre reviews and "The Blair Witch Project" is considered one of the scariest movies of all time.  My lack of fear after "The Blair Witch Project" was what really got me interested on the history of horror movies.

After research, I have discovered that a large part of why horror movies are so scary is because they often depict myths and legends of the time.  They will try to show the myth or legend in its scariest form, which is how it scares everyone in America.  Therefore, there are horror movies that can be made at specific times.  This is why a movie considered extremely scary from twenty years ago may not be as scary as a cheesier movie from the last few years.

Now I know that when I want to be horrified by a scary movie, I should watch more current movies.  This does not mean that old horror movies are bad, they just are not as scary to our time period.  Tonight I am looking forward to watching the horror movies on t.v., for this is why I get excited for Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment