Sunday, January 6, 2013

Obesity Really Is not the Problem

 There has been a lot of talk in the media lately about obesity and how as Americans, we need to do something to stop it right now.  We need to raise the price of quote on quote "unhealthy" foods at school, we need to get rid of snacks that have a high amount of calories, we need to eliminate fast food.  Yes, obesity should be looked into, but what about un-obesity?  I will admit that I am skinnier than I should be, and I would be a lot healthier if I was less skinny.  But, what I do not understand is why does no one try to help those who are skinny unless they have a food disorder?

Let me get one thing straight right now.  I am not anorexic, I am not bulimic, and I do not look like the stereotypical skinny person, but that does not mean that I should get the help I need to get back to normal weight.  I eat a ton, like more than probably most obese people eat, but somehow, I still do not gain weight.  Now, this cannot be directly related to the "slimming" movement in foods throughout the United States, but it definitely is a factor.

Really, all I'm saying is that food companies should give people like me some food choices that are not always "100 calorie snacks" or "reduced fat."  I am sure it takes companies less work to do this, and it can really help those who are not up to an average weight.  I am sick of eating those healthier snacks, knowing that even if I eat a thousand of them in one day, I still will not gain weight.

Studies have shown that being skinny causes just as many health problems as being obese, and yet people still do not care.  I do not mean to have skinniness turn into a nationally known epidemic; I just want people to pay a little attention to it.  This way, all spectrums of the weight scale can finally be accounted for.  I am ready to be done with the days of being colder, weaker, and less healthy than everyone else, but the only way I can achieve this goal is if there are at least some food options that are not made to have less calories and to slim people down.

No comments:

Post a Comment