Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mission Statement

For my revision essay, I revised an essay that I wrote about the average person's misconceptions of camp.  I used some of the ideas I had in this essay, but I shifted the essay's argument.  I will admit, when I wrote this essay for power writing, it was complete crap, so I had to revise it millions (okay possibly not millions) of times to make it at least half-way decent for an AP comp paper.

My main goal for writing this essay was to show people that camp is not about the stereotypical camp activities like rock climbing, canoeing, and camping out, but actually about the strong feelings that are felt while there.  I know that people that don't go to camp rarely think about camp, but as I have talked to people, everyone thinks camp is "stupid" or childish" because it is surrounded around these activities.  With my essay, I really wanted to show them why people at camp are as obsessed with camp as they are and what camp really means to frequent campers.


I made this point by describing several anecdotes about the feelings I have had while at camp.  I tried as hard as possible to make my audience picture what is happening and in some way feel the feelings that I had during these situations.  I used concrete imagery to make them feel like they are in the same situations as I was.

My motive for writing this paper was to finally express what has been building up inside of me ever since the last day of camp.  Every time I here someone make a negative comment about camp, all I can say to them is "you would have to be there to understand" because my feelings about camp are too complex to explain.  This essay is the closest that I feel I can possibly come to to fully explain to non-campers why camp is so important to me and why I have such strong feelings about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment