Sunday, November 25, 2012

A Joyful Turkey Day (Insert Sarcasm Mark)

Oh, Thanksgiving.  Thanksgiving is a time, for most, to kick back, relax, eat until your stomach explodes, and spend some quality time with your family.  Every family has their own little traditions and their own schedule for Thanksgiving day.  This is a time of the year that 99.999999 percent of the worlds population looks forward to every day leading up to it.  Well, I would have to admit that I am that .000001 percent.
No, I do not in any way hate Thanksgiving.  I just have never seen it as an amazing holiday.  First of all, I absolutely despise all Thanksgiving food.  To me, turkey has no taste, stuffing is tolerable but I do not love it, and sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce are gross.  Also, I am not one to talk deeply with my family, but on Thanksgiving, they almost force me to, and it gets me pretty uncomfortable.  Finally, there is really nothing to do on Thanksgiving until dinner time.  Overall, Thanksgiving is one of my least favorite holidays, and that feeling did not change this year.
I would have to say the one positive of this year's Thanksgiving is that my sister came home from college to be with us.  I have not seen her since she left for college in August, so I had a great time being with her again.  Okay, now that that's out of the way, let me talk about all of the not so fun stories that happened on Thanksgiving this year.  My grandparents also came to Minnesota from New Jersey for Thanksgiving.  While this used to be more of a positive, they me and my sister like we are eight years old.  When they came to Minnesota, they gave me and my sister our gifts comprising of two board games.  I am completely serious, two board games.  The hardest part was acting like we loved them, and having to play them every night my grandparents were in town.  Throughout each day, they would talk over-enthusiastically, as if that would make us more joyful or something.  Also, they started making weird childish nicknames for us during this Thanksgiving, which started getting me really annoyed.
The day of Thanksgiving this year was by far the worst day of the weekend.  All day, my mom was cooking, leaving no time to spend with me and my sister, and my dad was out golfing with my Grandparents.  That left me and my sister alone all day to do nothing.  Yes, I found some amusement from watching football, but it got very old after the first full game.  After that football game, I literally watched random other television shows until dinner.  I know, it was a very action-packed day.  My sisters day was not much better.  Since she does not even like football, she was trying to help my mom cook all day, even though she has no clue how to cook.  Because of my sister's inability to cook, the stuffing ended up burnt, which I did not even know could happen, and she was complaining almost all day.  Now, I know what you're thinking.  The day must have gotten at least a little better with the big feast.  Well, I wish that happened, but it only got worse.
I knew it was going to be a long dinner when the second we sat down, my sister spilled water all over the table.  Most of the dinner consisted of my parents and grandparents talking about childhood memories that my sister and I could not relate to at all.  When there were instances of the conversation switching to something more relatable, it was usually when I was in the kitchen helping to bring food into the dining room.  The food was worse than ever.  Usually, on Thanksgiving, I would just eat a load of stuffing because I cannot stand any of the other foods.  Well, as I mentioned earlier, my sister somehow managed to burn the stuffing.  Therefore, I was out of options, and ended up eating a gourmet meal of Ramen and more Ramen.  While I do like Ramen, it was not exactly what I would expect to eat on a day where everyone in the world has their favorite meal.  The only hope I had was that dessert would be great, but of course, there were no desserts I liked.
The only actual funny story I can remember happening was when my dog stole a whole leg of turkey.  When people think of a fifteen pound white dog, they think of it as very cute and innocent.  Well, that is the exact opposite of my dog.  When he can make trouble, he will make trouble.  He somehow managed to jump onto our table that was three or four times his height, steal a turkey leg, and run away.    When my dad finally extracted the leg from my dog's teeth, the bone had been licked clean of any meat.  I am sure, because of that, my dog had a better Thanksgiving than any of us.
I know I may sound a little harsh, but I just did not have a good time on Thanksgiving this year.  It was awesome to see my sister, it was nice to see my grandparents, but I just overall cannot say I enjoyed the weekend.  I am coming out of it very disappointed, for despite past years, I had high hopes for it.  I will now have to look forward to next year, in hopes that it could possibly be better than this year.

5 comments:

  1. Andrew, It's okay. I'm sure next year will be much better. I understand you're much too old for silly board games now and I understand how freaking dry turkey can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you with regard to the Turkey. The dryness is one that can't be fixed by gravy. I completely avoided it this year.

    Stuffing, however, is the shit, and to call it simply "tolerable" (or anything except f***ing awesome) is a disgrace to anyone with taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you added a sarc mark! Your humorous style is great to read, and the way you describe everything is funny, which made me laugh. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you not even enjoy mashed potatoes? Cause that's what I eat. But I understand about the turkey, and the stuffing, and the dumb cranberry sauce... Ugh. Anyway, the board games sound kind of horrible. Someday you should regift them for your grandchildren and say "When I was in High School..." Just saying. It's a psychological way to get back at your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have lost some respect for you after learning that you are not a fan of Thanksgiving food. However, your post was quite humorous and I thought the part with your dog stealing to food was really funny.

    ReplyDelete