The abbreviation "lol" is commonly known to most to mean "laugh out loud". But, honestly, I don't know anyone that has written lol on a text and actually laughed out loud. I constantly see people write lol in a text they send me, but it really means nothing to me. I know they're not actually laughing, and often, I know they send it because they don't have anything else to say. As you can tell, I do not think people should use the word lol in any situation ever.
Looking through my texts, I start to notice things about people's texts of lol that I have not noticed before. First, many times, when people text me the word lol, the thing I said to provoke them to say it was not even funny. If we were having that conversation in real life, there is no chance they would ever be laughing. Also, some people send the word lol almost every text. If we are talking about something funny, lol. If we are talking about something serious, lol. Even if I just say hi, they sill respond with lol. It has literally lost it's meaning.
What message are people trying to get across when they say lol? Are they so bored with our conversation that lol is all they can think of saying? Do they think it will amuse me more if they say lol? Do they just have it programmed in their head that they must send lol at the beginning of every message? I really just don't get it. When people send lol to me, I really do not know how to respond.
After realizing how meaningless the word lol actually is, I have stopped using it all together. If any text ever actually makes me laugh, I say to them, "I am actually laughing right now." It makes it clear that I am actually laughing, and actually has meaning. If people could be more clear, then I would not be so confused every time someone sends me the word lol. So, the next time you send the word lol to someone, just remember, you are blatantly lying to them, because I know you aren't actually laughing out loud.
No comments:
Post a Comment